Technical Engineer, India
Nexleaf Analytics (US-based NGO) is a nonprofit technology company with a unique bottom-up approach for bringing data-driven impact to public health and climate change interventions in low- and middle-income countries. Our diverse team of computer scientists, software engineers, mechanical engineers, data scientists, public health experts, environmental advocates, and field managers design and deploy technology to ensure sustainable impact. We work directly with end users and iterate on our technology in the field to ensure that our sensors are customized to meet the specific needs in each country.
Partnering with leading institutions such as Gavi, Google.org, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Qualcomm Wireless Reach, Nexleaf helps deliver safe vaccines to over 12.5 million babies annually and connect 900 rural homes with mobile money payments for reducing carbon emissions through cleaner cooking. We work in a diverse set of countries, including India, Mozambique, Nigeria, and Kenya.
About the Position
We’re looking for an enthusiastic Technical Engineer to support a large-scale initiative in India in the health sector & Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) equipment management. This is a 12-month independent contractor role reporting to the Nexleaf NICU Project Coordinator. To learn more about the NICU Program, please find the latest information on our website. The ideal candidate is someone who has a passion for data driven solutions and is excited about technically supporting an innovative project that will impact health outcomes of vulnerable newborns.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Technical Engineer’s main responsibility is to support the program and statistical teams through the collection and management of data from logging devices and service providers in the health system sector in Nagpur, India. The candidate should be comfortable developing an effective plan with the Project Coordinator for the installation and periodic data download from deployed logging devices. This role will require the ability to respect the schedule and sensitivities of various stakeholders and generate and share learning reports with the project management team.
- Regular field travel to provide local support for deployment and testing of data logging devices in various hospitals in different districts
- Building a detailed catalog of NICU equipment at the field sites and performing landscape analysis of monitoring devices and relevant regulatory requirements (RoHS, BIS, etc.)
- Installing power monitoring data logging devices onto NICU equipment
- Troubleshooting issues with any data logging devices and addressing technical questions and concerns for the project team
- Procure and lead testing of power monitoring data logging devices and collecting user reported equipment data for the statisticians
- Data entry and management of all manually and automatically collected data
- Review and analysis of hospital documentation such as maintenance or occupancy records
- Assisting Project Coordinator as needed during interviews and focus groups (note-taking, interpretation of responses, organization and write up) to understand challenges around utilization and maintenance of NICU equipment
- Regular coordination and communication with hospital staff and equipment manufacturers and distributors
- Attending conferences and workshops as needed in India
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- 2-3 years of hands-on experience managing IT hardware infrastructure or biomedical engineering experience
- Experience with maintenance, quality assurance, or testing of IT infrastructure equipment or biomedical equipment
- Fluency in English and Hindi (speaking and writing)
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Must be proficient in data collection, data management, analysis, and reporting
- Must be able to work occasional evening and weekend hours to communicate with team members and stakeholders in global time zones
- Master’s in biomedical engineering or computer applications
- Experience working in hospital settings
- Experience working in rural or low resource settings
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative research
- Knowledge of manufacturing/distribution or manufacturers/distributors across India. Prior work in this sector is a plus.
- Professional working knowledge of Marathi (speaking and writing)
A successful candidate will be highly detail oriented, tech savvy, and be able to pick up on the context and sensitivities of working in a hospital intensive care unit. S/he will bring proven experience and the ability to anticipate problems and identify solutions. The candidate will be providing full technical support to the project team.
The executive team is partially based in California, USA (Pacific Standard Time), so the candidate should be comfortable with various modes of communication (e.g. Skype, Gmail, Whatsapp) as well as the time difference when getting on some calls/meetings.
Nexleaf Analytics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state or local law.