POSITION: Software Engineer
Company: Nexleaf Analytics (nexleaf.org)
Posting Date: March 29, 2019
Location: Denver, CO
Position Type: Full-Time
FOR IMMEDIATE HIRE
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Nexleaf Analytics is a nonprofit technology company with a unique bottom-up approach for bringing data-driven impact to public health and climate change interventions in low- and middle-income countries. Our diverse team of computer scientists, software engineers, mechanical engineers, data scientists, public health experts, environmental advocates, and field managers design and deploy technology to ensure sustainable impact. We work directly with end users and iterate on our technology in the field to ensure that our sensors are customized to meet the specific needs in each country.
Partnering with leading institutions such as Gavi, Google.org, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Qualcomm Wireless Reach, Nexleaf helps deliver safe vaccines to over 12.5 million babies annually and connect 900 rural homes with mobile money payments for reducing carbon emissions through cleaner cooking. We work in a diverse set of countries, including India, Mozambique, Nigeria, and Kenya.
As a Software Engineer, you will help us achieve scale and impact by designing and developing the core code of our cloud-based web service. This service collects and analyzes data gathered from the hardest to reach places on the earth and you’ll be building dashboards (front and back-end) that are connected to tens of thousands of IoT/M2M devices across multiple applications, used by important stakeholders like Ministries of Health, global agencies and partner NGOs. To do this you’ll learn the architecture of our existing system, implement new features, revise existing features, test and work on production deployment with a shared goal of making sure everyone on the team is succeeding.
In this role you will:
- Utilize your understanding of company strategy to work closely with program and field staff across 5 countries to assess needs and requirements
- Support technical decision making: input on design document and architecture plans
- Make well-reasoned design decisions, identifying potential issues, tradeoffs, risks, and the appropriate level of abstraction
- Ensure APIs follow best practices and align with system goals
- Scope problems with support of senior engineers and managers and troubleshoot technical and operational problems
- Debug expertly within your primary focus area
- Work to understand dependencies
- Participate in production deployment and code reviews
We have a small, dedicated team at Nexleaf and we all work together to define priorities and plan implementations. We also have individual dev servers and provide a choice of Linux, Mac or Windows development environment.
- College degree
- Python: 2+ years on larger projects
- Relevant experience deploying features of the backend and frontend into production on Linux based systems.
- Handles open-ended problems & ambiguity well
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with using AWS.
- Basic data processing and analysis experience.
Nexleaf’s Employee Value Proposition:
1. Be a Maker
a. You’re willing to take risks, roll up your sleeves, and iterate on solutions to see your ideas come to life.
b. You can work directly with founders to design and execute new ideas.
c. You take initiative, and have worked collaboratively and respectfully with internal and external partners to move mountains.
2. Innovate for Impact
a. You are motivated by social impact and making a difference in the world.
b. You want to be on the cutting edge of technology for development, revolutionizing sectors to help the poorest people in the world.
c. You can come up with creative new solutions to old problems.
3. Build Capacity
a. You are always striving to build your own, your team’s, and your client’s capacity through learning and teaching.
b. You’re not afraid to ask questions, and you’re never too busy to answer someone else’s.
c. You seek a diverse work environment where you are treated with respect and challenged to grow both professionally and as a person.
4. Do More with Data
a. You believe in the power of data and want to empower others to make decisions with their data.
b. You operate with integrity, base your arguments in facts and figures, and keep an open door & open data policy.
c. You can solve problems from the bottom-up just as well as from the top-down.
Nexleaf Analytics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state or local law.